Located in the western part of central Indiana, Clay officially became a county in 1825. It had previously been part of Vigo (1818), Owen (1818) and Sullivan (1817) counties. All four counties were carved out of Knox County, one of the four original counties of the Indiana territory. The county was named after statesman Henry Clay (1777-1852). Brazil is the county seat.